Sarah FletcherLondon, United Kingdom
I'm a freelance journalist who writes for national newspapers and magazines, including The Guardian, The Times, Telegraph, Daily Mail, Grazia, Stylist and Psychologies. I've also written for NBC and was a columnist at MSN.
I write features and opinion pieces on parenting, health, relationships and travel.
I'm a graduate of Oxford University (English, 2.1 MA OXON).
I love my job as a freelance writer. In the past six months, I’ve had commissions from many prestigious national newspapers and glossy magazines, including The Guardian, Telegraph, Daily Mail and Grazia. It's an incredible feeling to see your work published in a national title.
It’s very hard to get published in the national press, but I can show you how to do it.
I can work from anywhere I like, whenever I like and have an amazing work-life balance.
I have managed to fit freelance journalism around raising my two young children, so I’m a master of time management! I can show you how to make it work for you, whether you’re working around another job or family life.
I'd love to chat to you about how to become a freelance writer for national newspapers, magazines and websites. Here are some of the things we can cover in our PivotPlanet sessions:
- How to get started
- How to research and write pitches that editors will love
- How to find editors' details and make sure they read your emails
- How to contact editors and secure commissions
- How to build a portfolio
- How to network using online groups, social media and face to face
- How to market yourself using social media
- How to set up a website to showcase your work
- How to motivate yourself and manage your time effectively