Cranford, New Jersey, United States
Being a human resources manager provides me the opportunity to impact the daily lives of employees, while working toward maximizing the success of the various businesses I support.
I am the human resources manager for Cablevision (Optimum). The company has more than 16,000 employees in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. In addition to our Optimum cable, Internet and television products, Cablevision owns and operates News12 networks, the country’s first, largest, most-watched 24-hour local news network, and the Newsday Media Group, which encompasses a full spectrum of print and media products including “Newsday”, one of the nation’s largest daily newspapers. Cablevision’s consolidated net revenues in 2013 were $6.232 billion.
Here’s just a bit of what we can cover in our PivotPlanet session(s):
• How to develop effective job analyses – a systematic approach to identifying the key tasks, knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for a particular job. A job analysis can serve as the basis for selection, performance management, compensation, training, succession planning, etc.
• How to develop and implement a successful hiring process – competencies needed, objective interviewing processes, etc. I can provide training to anyone new to behavioral interviewing and will even throw in a few copies of my EBook on the subject.
• How to build a performance management system that utilizes S.M.A.R.T techniques and aligns employee activities with the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
• How to create a succession plan that ensures you have identified the bench strength necessary to withstand the departure of top talent by implementing an inventory process that identifies the skills, abilities and experience levels of all employees to determine who is the next “batter up”.
• How to develop a career counseling program to provide employees with an outlet to discover other internal positions which might be better suited for their natural tendencies and interests.
I thoroughly enjoy what I do. I am passionate about the social sciences and human resources. I keep up-to-date with industry knowledge and hold a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) designation.
My background is in human resources and industrial/organizational psychology. I have experience in distinctly unique industries and environments, which has added greatly to my ability to navigate through most situations. I have been with Colgate-Palmolive, Princeton University, The College Board and, now, Cablevision. I have also done consulting for various industries.
In my job we are constantly introducing initiatives and new ways of doing things to help drive employee engagement and promote a more productive work environment. Creativity in problem solving and process re-invention is a daily bonus, and since I oversee multiple offices, the autonomy I am afforded makes my job great.
Many situations within organizations (i.e. low employee engagement, turnover, loss of productivity or creativity, etc.) can almost always be attributable to some underlying problem source. Most people will tell you my strength is helping uncover and systematically address the root issues in an organization.