Hood River, Oregon, United States
Memaloose Winery + Idiot's Grace
My job as a wine director and sommelier allows me to indulge my passion for wine and gives me the opportunity to meet people, both locally and from all over the world, who share my passion.
Here’s just a bit of what we can cover in our PivotPlanet session(s):
• How to assemble an interesting, well-balanced, profitable wine list or retail set.
• How to engage customers in a way that earns their trust and their business.
• How to build mutually beneficial partnerships with vendors.
• How to balance the romantic aspects of wine with the realities of the wine business and enjoy both.
• How to educate yourself as well as others about wine .
Working with wine allows me to learn something new literally every day - some days two things. My current position provides a great deal of autonomy while at the same time demands creativity and accountability.
I have always worked in the wine business. It was a hobby through college, as I was preparing for a different career path. When I realized I could make a career out of my interest in wine, I did not hesitate and have never looked back.
I my years as a wine buyer and sommelier at retail stores and restaurants I have; developed wine programs and retail sets, provided wine education to employees and the public, learned disciplined inventory management and pricing and mastered the nuances of vendor relations and customer service. I have built a long, steady, rewarding career out of doing something I love and gained recognition and respect by being true to myself and honest with others.
A valuable lesson I learned over the years is if you fill a wine shop or a wine list with only wines you like, you will end up drinking most of them yourself because your customers will not be interested.